WHAT DO PRODUCE CODES AND FOOD LABELS MEAN?

by | 2017 | Food, The Lills

We visited a grocery store recently who had one organic produce stand, surrounded by conventionally grown and GMO fruits and veggies. If more people went to the organic stand and the demand grew, so would the supply. Maybe GMO and Conventional Farming would disappear from the shelves and be history.

In order to create this kind of change, we have to educate ourselves and start choosing what is better for the Earth and each other. Any time we shop from grocery stores, we are sure to check the labels and PLU number codes on the fruits and veggies. See the codes below:

PLU Codes | Produce Labeling | Grocery Stores | The Lills Food

#4xxx – Conventionally Grown (Sprayed with pesticides)
#8xxxxx – GMO (Genetically Modified Organism – has had its DNA altered or modified in some way through genetic engineering)
#9xxxxx – Organic (Limits use of synthetic materials during production)

When produce is labeled organic, it means at least 95% of it is organically produced. The remaining 5% is supposedly approved by the USDA (US Department of Agriculture). Organic, thank goodness, is more regulated than conventional or GMO.

Food labeled “100% Organic” consists only of organic ingredients.
Food labeled “Made with Organic Ingredients” consists of at least 70% organic ingredients.
“Natural Flavors” in an ingredient list that includes any substance that derives from a plant or animal. It covers up the fact that there are bugs in your coffee, cupcakes, medicine and more. It covers up MSG, also known as “autolyzed yeast extract”. The list goes on.

Look out for food advertised and labeled as “natural” or “all-natural”. These terms are vague, tricky and misleading. For instance, the USDA doesn’t define a difference between “natural” or “all-natural” and foods labeled “natural” can contain growth hormones, antibiotics and more. Neither the FDA nor the USDA regulates food labeled “natural”, so it’s no wonder why so many unhealthy food products use it. It is easily misinterpreted and the consumer doesn’t usually know any better.

Want to go a step further? Check out our Live Food vs Dead Food post!

MORE FOOD & INSPIRATION POSTS LIKE THIS ONE:

Genetically Modified Organism | GMO Info | Bad For Health | The Lills

BIG BAD GMO (GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISM)

An organism that has had its DNA genetically altered or modified is known as a GMO (genetically modified…

read more

Sugar Lights Up Same Part Of The Brain As Cocaine | Inspiration

SUGAR LIGHTS UP THE SAME PART OF THE BRAIN AS COCAINE

Studies are showing, sugar lights up the same part of the brain as drugs, like cocaine. Human brains…

read more

Fluoride Info | Bad For Health | Toothpaste | Water | The Lills

ATTACK OF THE FLUORIDE

Growing up, our parents always insisted we brushed our teeth, which makes sense. The only thing that they weren’t aware of…

read more

Why Is Organic Produce More Expensive Than Convenional GMO Processed Food | The Lills

WHY IS ORGANIC FOOD MORE EXPENSIVE THAN CONVENTIONAL FOOD?

We’ve heard people mention that the reason why they don’t eat organic food often…

read more