WHAT ARE ARTIFICIAL COLORS?
There are many adverse health effects that come with artificial colors, including learning impairment, allergies, irritability, cancer and more. It’s worth noting, that there are known carcinogens in artificial colors commonly used, which the FDA still approves for the U.S. food supply.
Here is a list of artificial colors that are still legal in the United States:
- RED#3 (Erythrosine E127) – It is used for everything from food coloring to sensitizer for photographic films. It’s been tested that high dosages cause cancer in rats and it is linked to thyroid cancer. In the U.S. Red#3 can be used in food and ingested drugs, but it has been banned from cosmetics and external topical products. It is more heavily used in Europe.
- RED#40 (Allura Red E129)- It is used for food coloring to medicine and often contains aluminum and other metals. It is linked to organ toxicity and behavioral effects, like hyperactivity. Red#40 is banned in most European countries.
- BLUE#1 (Brilliant Blue E133)- It is used in everything from canned peas and dairy products to shampoo. It is proved to cause allergies, cancer and chromosomal damage, which changes or breaks chromosomes of cells. Blue#1 gets absorbed directly in the blood stream through the tongue or skin, but the intestines reject it almost completely. It is known to cause bloating, upset stomach, vomiting and diarrhea.
- BLUE#2 (Indigo Carmine/Indigo Blue/Indigotine E132) – It is used in surgery and to dye blue jeans. It is also used in food, candy products and dog food. Blue#2 has been proven to cause hyperactivity, tumors and cancer.
- GREEN#3 (Fast Green E143) – It is used in cosmetics, beverages, candy, ice cream and more. This synthetic dye attacks the bladder and mutates genes.
- YELLOW#5 (Tartazine E102) – It is used in cheese, wine, canned veggies, house cleaning products, nail polish, tanning lotions, vitamins, liquid and bar soap, paper plates, processed foods and more. It has cancer causing compounds, it mutates DNA and it contains known carcinogens. We read that Yellow#5 decreases sperm count and was being looked at as a possible contraceptive. Crazy, but true: benzene has been banned from gasoline, but it is still in our food, through Yellow#5.
- YELLOW#6 (Sunset Yellow E110) – It is used in cheese, soda, candy, baked goods, preserved and processed foods, dog food and more. It is considered one of the most harmful artificial colors, as a level three carcinogen. Yellow#6 is proven to raise estrogen levels, to cause cancer, hypersensitivity and tumors. We read that Yellow#6 is made by treating benzenesulphonic acid with hydrochloric acid and sodium nitrite.
- CITRUS RED 2 – It is only used to color orange peels and is considered a group 2B carcinogen. It is banned in California and Arizona.
- ORANGE B – It was only approved to be used in hot dog and sausage casings and as of 1978, manufacturing stopped, but it was never removed from the list of legal artificial colors by the FDA.
Others are ahead of the U.S. in the race to better food. Many European manufacturers have discontinued using artificial food colors, while others carry warning labels by law. Big name candy and cereal brands have tried resorting to natural colors, but the results were dull looking foods that just didn’t sell, leading them back to using toxic chemicals to make their products more appealing, regardless of the health effects. We as consumers simply need to get educated on the food we’re using as fuel for our bodies and say no to harmful products that hurt us and our future.
MORE FOOD POSTS LIKE THIS ONE:
ATTACK OF THE FLUORIDE
Growing up, our parents always insisted we brushed our teeth, which makes sense. The only thing that they weren’t aware of…
BIG BAD GMO (GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISM)
An organism that has had its DNA genetically altered or modified is known as a GMO (genetically modified…
BEWARE OF THE ALUMINUM
When it comes to aluminum, or aluminium, there are huge toxicity concerns with its widespread use. Alzheimer’s and other dysfunctions…
SUGAR LIGHTS UP THE SAME PART OF THE BRAIN AS COCAINE
Studies are showing, sugar lights up the same part of the brain as drugs, like cocaine. Human brains…