FUN EXERCISE TO DO TOGETHER: JUMP ROPE
There are many jump ropes to choose from. There are woven jump ropes with wooden handles, plastic beaded jump ropes, thin plastic “licorice” jump ropes and speed ropes that professionals use. We’ve also come across weighted jump ropes that help with building strength and endurance.
To size your rope, stand on the middle of the cord. If the bottom of the handles come up to your armpit, then you have a good fitting rope.
Beginners can start jumping rope at a steady speed for 10 minutes a day and increase over time to twenty minutes or two sessions of ten minutes a day. It is said you can burn up to 200 calories a day this way.
If you’ve never jumped rope, follow these instructions:
- Look into a longer jump rope, perfect for beginners. They are slower and make it easier to jump.
- Loosely grip the handles with your fingers and have the jump rope behind you.
- Keep your hands together and your elbows close to your body.
- Swing the jump rope over your head and lift up your feet simultaneously by jumping, so the rope flies under them. It’s all about timing.
- Jump just a few inches off of the ground and let your butt and hamstrings absorb the shock of the jump.
- Try just doing one jump at a time. When you feel you’re getting the hang of it, try two jumps in a row.
- With practice and repetition you will create muscle memory, as well as find a rhythm and speed that suites you.
MORE INSPIRATION POSTS LIKE THIS ONE:
EXERCISING INDOORS VS EXERCISING OUTDOORS
When the two of us first met each other in 2005, we went to our local gym to workout together. We’d jump on the treadmill, lift weights…
ENDORPHINS EQUAL HAPPINESS
The human body is brilliantly designed, working 24 hours a day to maintain bodily functions that we don’t even think about or take notice of…
GROUNDING + CONNECTING WITH EARTH
Earth is an electrical planet, giving off energetic waves all around. It is just as alive as we are, and when we walk around barefoot, we can feel the…
HOW TO BE TOGETHER ALL THE TIME
We believe relationships, families and the future would benefit from closer ties with the ones they love. It just takes…